Friday, November 21, 2014

Create a New Space by De-Cluttering and Rearranging

We have been busy doing more de-cluttering and recently freed up a bunch of space in the living room. Inspired by this extra square footage, I decided to flip the furniture placement. I had measured it out a few times and knew that everything would fit but I wasn't sure how it would feel or how my husband, Shelby, would like it.


Then I got antsy one day and decided to move everything around while he was at work. I figured we could live with it for a couple of days and then if we didn't like it, I could move it back. It only took about an hour for me to move everything (that included vacuuming everything before putting it back into place).


Part of what changed the space so much was simply getting rid of some of the clutter. We emptied out two bookcases - some things we got rid of and other things got moved to other rooms - like my son, Jeremy's, books are now on the bookshelves in his room. I also got rid of all of the knick-knacks that were on the little room-divider-window-thingy. Now the focus is on that fun, retro architectural design instead of all of the crap that was sitting on it collecting dust. 


The couches now face the big picture window which puts the focus on the outdoors instead of the tv. The tv is camouflaged even more since it is nestled in between the bookcases. Now that the tv isn't the main focus of the room, it is so much more relaxing in here. 

(past tutorial pictured: One Yard Colorful Curtains)

I have a great view of the sunrise in the mornings (Shelby is a welder so we are up at 5am every morning) which makes it a great place to sit and have a cup of coffee before starting the day.

We also spend more time reading, napping, and just relaxing in this space without turning the tv on. Don't get me wrong, we still watch tv - it just isn't our immediate response when we sit down on the couch anymore. 


Jeremy has even decided that he wants to have a screen-free Saturday. We are saving up for a camper and he is trying really hard to convince us to live in it! I told him that he wouldn't enjoy it as much if it was an every day thing and that he wouldn't have all of his electronics to keep him entertained. So he wants to go screen-free to see if he can do it. :) 

I also reminded him that he wouldn't have friends right next door to play with like he does now (he is super social) and his response was, "NATURE will be my friend!!!" Hahaha! My little redneck really wants to live in the woods and if that requires living in a camper he would be more than happy to do it. 

I must admit, I would love to live in the woods as well, but I'm not sure that I am ready to move into a camper in order to make that happen. Especially since our vehicle is only a half-ton which means that the camper we are looking at buying is a popup!


  

You can usually find me linking up at:

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I love the space and the tree will look nice in front of the window for Christmas.

You could get a tiny house that is on wheels and you can pull it to any place you want to go.

Jun Bug House said...

Love the new space too.......
I did this a few months ago.
I asked my hubby dude to be on the look out for a piece of wood that I could use to go all the way across both bookcases to make like a framed/built in look above the TV.
Still looking.
Love yours!
**U**
Nance